Friday, August 12, 2011

A little black and white and some chartreuse

Day5
August 12, 2011
Wt. 256.4
Blood Sugar (first thing in the morning) 168
Blood Pressure 157/96 80 bpm.

A little black and white and some chartreuse

Here I am at the beginning of Day 5 and all of the numbers are beginning to move downward, but as the man said, "just because the cat had kittens in the oven, it doesn’t make them cookies." Still it is encouraging. A solid week of lower numbers will begin showing real proof of progress.

Yesterday afternoon was a hard one. I was doing physical work and the fist sized lunch of chili I had for lunch wasn’t quite enough to sustain me. I didn’t have my glucose meter with me so I’m not sure if I just dropped into normal territory, say 80 to 100 or if I went below. Regardless, I had to have some juice and a couple of cookies and about a half an hour of rest before being able to go back to work.
The lesson, actually lessons that come out of this are good reminders.
First, when away from home and a controlled food source it is important to have food with you. The other is that while I recommend staying away from juice, white flour and sugar-sometimes they can be just the thing you need-in moderation, of course.

If you are wondering about the rapid drop in weight it is because I am only eating about 1000 to 1500 calories a day. If I wanted to maintain my weight I would be eating about 2,500 calories a day.
The main goal of this experience is to bring the blood glucose numbers into normal range and keep them there. To do this, the belly fat has to go. With the loss of belly fat the blood pressure numbers will come down as well. All of these things are tied together. They are the top of a pyramid built of eating too much of the wrong foods. I was about to add, and exercise, but I believe that while lack of exercise is a component, it is not enough to counteract the bad eating as the cause of diabetes.
I am short of time this morning but the next blog will take on the first two rules-the ones that address foods that should be avoided–oddly enough, the very foods I used yesterday to pull me out of an energy crash. Don’t you wish everything was just a nice black and white with no shades of gray or chartreuse?

More tomorrow,
Jim
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment